theowcpclassroom.freeforums.org

It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:48 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to theowcpclassroom

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Welcome
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:30 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum of the OWCP Classroom. If you need answers...please post your question here! If you haven't already done so, check out my blog at:

http://theowcpclassroom.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Re: Welcome
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:53 pm 

Jesse,

Great site!!! Thank you for taking the time.

NRPIOD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:57 pm 

Jesse,

OWCP has assigned a Registered nurse to my case, and she is asking to come with me to my doctor's appointment, my question is: is she allowed to come to the examination room with me or can I refuse and not get in trouble with OWCP? also she wants me to sign a Release of Information Letter, do I have to sign this letter? can I refuse? and if so what would be my reasons, if not are there any limits to the information that she can collect or conversations with my doctors without my consent and knowledge. I thank you for any advice you can provide.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:13 am 
Site Admin

Hi NRPIOD: I see you're an injured postal worker.

If the nurse assigned to your case is NOT part of vocational rehabilitation, then cooperating with him/her is voluntary. It doesn't hurt to allow what you're comfortable with, especially if you think the nurse is helping your case and not hindering it.

You DO NOT have to allow her into the exam room with you. You don't have to allow her to come to the appointment at all. A lot of times these nurses try to get claimant's to sign these very broad releases. You can write out a new release that states anything related to your OWCP claims and ONLY your OWCP claims be released to the nurse. You can tell her it's too broad as a reason for not signing it. If you're going to continue your relationship with the nurse, then you should type up something that limits the information to your OWCP claim only.

Also, you can (and I recommend it) type up something for your doctor that states none of your medical file is to be released without your express written permission. Doctors can be intimidated by these people too. You can tell your doctor that he does not have to tell her anything about you. Let your doctor know that doctor/patient applies to the nurse.

I also recommend anytime you're with the nurse for some sort of scheduled meeting, that you have a tape recorder so there's no confusion later.

I would also request a copy of your file. The nurse's reports to OWCP will be in there. You want to keep up on what the nurse is saying about you.

If the nurse needs something, s/he can get it from the CE.

Hope this helps...thanks for stopping by!

You and your physician's have to cooperate with OWCP, your CE, etc...but that does not apply to a field nurse. Vocational Rehabilitation is different...but not just a field nurse.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:55 pm 

Hi jesse,
I love it so far...it will be a tremendously helpful resource! :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

I sure hope so Snowed. We've got to find a way to even the playing field.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:49 am 

Jesse. Question. Had an FCE scheduled but because of distance and traffic it would severely affect my approved anxiety condition of agoraphobia + panic disorder. Acquired those because of terrible insomnia from my lower lumbar and sacroiliac conditions. Psychiatrist and psychologist both sent in letters explaining the burden this would cause to the conditions and asked Comp to schedule the fce closer to home. I even sent a letter in stating I would attempt do it but to please make it closer for me. The next thing I know is that they cancel it because there aren't any facilities closer to me to do it that are under contract. They said the Secop Ortho would just do his report without it. Ever hear of that before? How can he give a true report without the fce? Mind you Im a 28 year fed employee that had NEVER filed for anything prior to this fall in 2009. Have been dealing with issues ever since. Chronic back pain, insomnia, 4 anxiety disorders that have arisen because of the pain and sleep deprivation. I just wanted to finish my last few years with USPS and take my retirement. Problem also is the Postal NRP that isn't taking anyone back with any limitations. So I filed for ssdi on top of this mess. I just don't get this system? You have 4 doctors that have no connection to one another(2 mental 2 physical) that all clearly state because of the multifaceted problems of several conditions and 9 med side effects that the patient is unemployable! Yet they send you to a secop and wanted to do that fce and who knows what next? What does it matter what a seop ortho says when you have debilitating mental conditions that are approved and 9 med side effects that would prevent you from functioning clearly even if his report says you can do limited duty because of the physical aspect. The mental would override that anyway. I mean if you get panic and agoraphobic attacks and have to leave places what does it matter what you can squeeze or pull or push. See what Im sayin?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Priority75:

I wouldn't worry too much about not going to the FCE. First off, that's a horrible test and the results can be less than accurate. Consider yourself lucky they cancelled the appointment, because normally they would threaten you and force you to go anyway no matter how far away it is.

It's only recently that OWCP has been using the FCE's to get claimant's off their rolls. The secop should be able to write the report without it. Thousands of secop reports have been written without an FCE.

Now, don't be surprised if after the ortho secop they send you out for a psych secop. You don't say if the mental condtions are accepted through OWCP (??), but if your conditions ARE accepted by OWCP, they'll probably send you for a secop for that.

Even if the ortho secop goes against you, they still have to deal with the psych issues, especially if the psych issues are accepted by OWCP. And of course, there are ways to fight the secop.

If you haven't already done so, I would request a copy of your entire case file. I have a sample letter on my blog that shows how to do that. You also want to request from your CE a copy of your Statement of Accepted Facts, (SOAF), the questions they're posing to the secop and the secop's Curriculum Vitae (fancy word for resume). I also have a sample letter on my blog showing how to request those items. They should be separate letters, but you can put them in the same envelope.

It will do you no good to freak out over all this before your appointment. I know that's hard because it seems it's all designed to make you crazy. But when you have anxiety disorders, they can flare-up due to the 'rules' and 'requirements' of OWCP.

As long as you're not being punished for not attending the FCE, then you're okay. The only thing you can do now is attend your secop ortho appointment and wait for the report. Once the report comes in, if it is against you, then you can take the next action.

I hope this helps to ease your mind somewhat. Come back anytime!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:25 pm 

Thanks Jesse. Yes, my 3 approved conditions are Lower Lumbar, Sacroiliac, and Anxiety. I'm hoping the USPS gives out this early out soon so I can take that retirement even though its a little less than if I hung on for another 4-5 years and hopefully get my SSDI also. Then I wouldnt worry what OWCP does anymore. Anyway there is no offset from my federal pension and SSDI as Ive always paid soc sec taxes in my 28 years of employment. There is an offset however with SSDI if you are collecting OWCP. I wish I could have finished off these last 4-5 years and collect my regular retirement but with these conditions and meds Ive come to realize its not going to happen. I already did the ortho secop and they canceled the fce for next week because of my mental Dr's letters. So I guess you are right Ill probably be sent to a mental secop but Im not worried about that at all as Ive been treating weekly with a psychologist and monthly with the psychiatrist over the past 9 months and have lots of documentation not to mention all the psyche prescriptions. Does OWCP ever just back off for awhile and leave you alone when they realize you just arent going to be able to work for a long time if at all? I mean they know I filed for SSDI so to do that you cant work at all. I filed for the SSDI on Union, Doctor, and Physician advice. Im trying to get out of OWCP hair. You think they would leave you alone knowing that you want out of their system and are trying hard to do so. Do you have a forum anywhere for SSDI or USPS rules?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, but you said something about 9 conditions. What about the other 6? Are they related to your accepted conditions? Your sleep disorder can be related two ways, 1) the chronic pain from the back and 2) the anxiety. Insomnia is common among both those conditions. Are you taking any meds for the sleep disorder?

I don't have anything for Social Security, but what do you want to know regarding USPS. I do have some experience with them. I'm just not exactly sure what you want to know, if you tell me, I might be able to help. If you want to find it on your own, read the ELM that's probably your best bet. Just Google USPS manuals. It'll come right up.

You're like a lot of other postal workers hoping for the early out, but who knows what they're going to do. As far as OWCP leaving you alone and that you filed for SSDI, unfortunately it was probably the filing for Social Security benefits that triggered this latest activity. If the secop goes in your favor and they send you out for the psych secop and that goes in your favor, they should leave you alone for a bit. If they decide NOT to send you to the psych secop and the ortho secop goes in your favor, that should also shut them up for a while.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next